Thursday 28 November 2013

The Funky Chicken

A few weeks back, a man approached my group at the pub during our weekly knit night. "Who is in charge here?" This was presented in a gruff tone, and thought I might be in some sort of trouble as I meekly responded that this would probably be me. He then presented me with a bulging bag of wool. He went on to explain that his wife had passed away a year ago, and this is what she left behind. As he just wanted to see it go to a good home, I accepted the bitter-sweet bag of goodies. 

After arriving home and dumping out the contents of said bag, I found what looked to be the beginnings of a jumper. She had gotten maybe 3/4 of the way through one sleeve. I wondered if this was meant to be for her husband? It was a lovely honeycomb pattern. It seemed such a shame to let her hours of work go to waste. There was no pattern included, so I couldn't just finish the jumper for her. But I thought maybe this sleeve could be useful as...a...tea cosy? I ripped it back till it was a suitable width for my pot. With the spout poking out of what would be the cuff of the sleeve, I crocheted the edges to give it a bit of finish, as well as closing up the sides to leave suitable holes for the spout and handle.




















And there you have a tea cosy.


But something was missing. I thought it kind of looked like a hen?? So I did the logical thing and added buttons for eyes and wee headdress of yarn. Finishing touches can make or break a piece. Say hello to Hilda the Hen. 



I am well acquainted as to how it feels to loose someone incredibly close. It's nice to have something that serves as a reminder of that special person. And that folks, is the reason I named the mascot of The Town Mouse Knitting Club, Rachel. That way, I've got my best gal pal with me at the pub, and she's always keeping me company in the shop. Thanks Rach.



No comments:

Post a Comment