Thursday 21 November 2013

The Funky Sailor

I am the biggest procrastinator when it comes to writing up patterns. Usually I am just a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-sort-of-knitter, and don't bother writing it down. I know, I know. For shame! Well, I like to think I'm improving. Maybe a New Year's resolution for me? Anyhoo, in preparation for Christmas, I made my Dad a man cowl. The results were fantastic! The only problem was, I liked it so much and wanted to keep it for myself. Gasp! So...I just made another one for me. Fingers crossed he is not reading this, and discovered what his present shall be! Now presenting the Funky Sailor Cowl.

Photo by Bartek Furdal

Since creating this cosy cowl, I've had a few requests for a pattern write up. Procrastination be gone! 

For this cowl I used grams of 100grams of Aran weight yarn in two contrasting colours (so 200grams in total). Brigantia Aran would suit nicely. 

Using a provisional cast on method and a 6.0mm circular needle (40cm) cast on 82 stitches with colour B, and join in the round.

You will now be following striping pattern 1:
 
Colour A: Knit 6 rounds
Colour B: Knit 2 rounds

Repeat Striping pattern 1 a total of 9 times, then work another 6 rounds of colour A.

You will now follow striping pattern 2:

Colour B: Knit 6 Rounds
Colour A: Knit 2 Rounds

Repeat striping pattern 2 a total of 9 times, then work another 4 rounds of colour B. 

 


















You will now need to put the stitches from the provisional cast on, onto another circular needle. You will now graft the stitches from either end together using kitchener stitch. This essentially connects either ends of the tube, leaving you with a cosy loop. Weave in ends, block, and wear proudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment