Thursday 16 May 2013

Scrappy Man Cowl

What to do with all those wooly scraps?? I don't like leftover bits of wool sitting in my stash for too long. They become uninspiring and downright annoying. But Mother taught this lady not to waste. For this reason, I appreciate projects that use up every last bit of my purchased materials. For some time I had a solution, and was using any and all scraps for my Beekeeper Quilt. But let's face it, I'm hexapuffed out and hunting for a new solution.


Being particularly inspired by Eribe's line of scarves, I find the patterning of blocks of colour with randomly interspersed stripes fun and attractive. Translation: this project uses up small bits of many colours. Scraps be gone! Hurrah! Coincidentally, there were two men in my life needing a wee something knit up for them. Gentlemen, meet the Scrappy Man Cowl. 

First, I picked out approximately 125 grams of wool from my stash, all in the same weight, in a palette I deemed attractive. For Scrappy Man #1, I focused on reds, blues and browns; all in aran weight. Using a provisional cast on, I cast on 30 stitches. Sticking with plain old garter stitch, I created the colour combinations as I went along. Then used a 3 needle bind of to connect and finish the cowl.

 


















Presenting Scappy Man #2 in a dk weight, featuring blues, greens, and browns.  




















I'm pleased to report that both gents were delighted with their Scrappy Man Cowl. On another very predictable note... 

I'm knitting another dress. I heard this stunning shade calling out "Dress Jess!!" I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted when I started knitting, but just sort of went for it. It's designed itself as I've went along. Next week should see this completed. Later kittens!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jess.. I should send you a picture of my Cowl, I'm knitting away quite a lot since January.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do send me a pic, I would love to see it!! Glad you have been working away with the pins. :)

    ReplyDelete