Saturday 17 May 2014

Day 6: Nana Knits

Growing up in the burbs of Oregon, I recall a lot of time spent at my Nana and Pappy's house. Their place was always where the whole family gathered for every holiday, birthday, and whatever else. Not to mention, they have a pool, so there was many a Summer day to be spent splashing around in their backyard. 

Wedding Day photo of Nana & Pappy


We were always a crafty family. Not only does Nana knit and crochet, but she is a very talented sewer, baker (best cookies ever) and jigsaw puzzle extraordinaire. She is ALWAYS working on something. As a child I remember having a purple crochet blanket made by this lovely lady. I adored that thing, and hope that it is stored somewhere back at my folks' house (Ma, can you confirm?!). As I got a bit older I started making specific requests for various hand knit and crochet items. Then I thought, why don't I just learn how to perform this mystical skill myself?! 

Nana at what she does best


So it was around the age of 12 or 13 that I asked my Nana to teach me the magic that is knitting. I came to find out that this is not magic at allKnitting is really a system of making loops upon loops that create a fabric...okay, so it is pretty magical. I'm also left-handed, and Nana taught me how to knit in this fashion. It was quite a challenge for her to teach me to knit backwards essentially, and I'm so delighted she did! Unfortunately I don't have any photographic evidence of this wee adventure. I really have my Nana to thank for where my life has lead to this point. Thanks Nana! 

No comments:

Post a Comment